Laser Pigmentation Treatment FAQs
Sign up for our 2023 VIP Black Friday List
Sign up now!
What do I need to know prior to treatment appointments, including consultations?
- You must have a free 20 minute pigmentation treatment consultation prior to receiving any treatments. Book in at www.vagaro.com/spaolivia. Choose Laser Consultation for Pigment, Spider Veins, Wrinkles and more as your service.
- It is imperative that you avoid sun exposure and tanning beds for at least 4 weeks prior to your treatment. This is a must with no exceptions.
- Avoid facial treatments, such as tretinoin (retinol) or glycolic acid for two weeks prior and any topical products that may cause irritation for four weeks following treatment.
- Avoid applying self-tanner for 2 weeks prior to treatment.
- Avoid aspirin and Ibuprofen for one week prior to your treatment. Inform us if you are taking blood thinners or regularly take aspirin or ibuprofen.
- Avoid alcohol for 2 days prior to treatment.
- Inform us if have taken Accutane (oral acne medication) in the past year.
- Store ice packs in your freezer for use after your procedure.
What should I expect the day of my treatment?
- If possible, arrive without creams or make-up on the treatment area. Otherwise please arrive 10 minutes prior to your appointment to clean the skin. Cleansing products are available for your convenience.
- Allow 30-45 minutes for your appointment depending on the size of the treatment area.
- Pre-Treatment photos will be taken.
- Just prior to treatment, you will be given eye shields to wear to protect your eyes.
- During treatment you may feel a mild stinging sensation, but it is very tolerable.
What will happen after my appointment?
- Immediately after treatment, your skin will be red and feel sensitive and sunburned. Redness, swelling, itching, or stinging may last for a few days. Don’t scratch or pick at skin that crusts as this can cause scarring or lead to an infection.
- Brown spots and freckles will appear darker while healing.
- Mineral make-up may be applied to cover redness as needed.
- Your skin may be temperature sensitive for several days after treatment.
- It will take 4-6 weeks to see the full result and 2-6 treatments may be required to achieve an optimum result.
- The sessions are designed to provide no downtime however, occasionally you may find that your cheeks and under eye areas are slightly puffy after treatment. You may use cold compresses (5 minutes on and 10 minutes off) several times an hour to help ease both redness and swelling.
- Sleeping with your head elevated for the first night will also help decrease any swelling you may experience.
- Blistering and crusting are rare; however, if crusts do occur, a thin layer of over-the-counter antibiotic ointment such as Polysporin® can be applied 2-3 times a day for 3 days. Please call us if you experience either of these uncommon reactions.
- Hyperpigmentation (darkening of the skin colour) can occur in some skin types. Please call us if you experience this uncommon reaction.
What should I do after the treatment?
- Use mild cleansers and moisturizers. We recommend a professional skin care line such as Vivier.
- Avoid Aspirin, Ibuprofen, alcohol, heavy exertion, and activities which may cause flushing for 2 days after treatment
- Avoid harsh topical products such as retinols and glycolic acid products for one week after.
- Avoid direct sunlight on the treated area and use a broad spectrum UVA/UVB sunscreen of SPF 30 or greater for 4 -6 weeks after your treatment. We recommend EltaMD 41.
What are sun spots and how are they caused?
Sun spots are dark patches on the skin caused by prolonged exposure to the sun’s UV rays. They are also known as age spots or liver spots, and are more common in people with fair skin.
How do laser pigmentation treatments work on sun spots?
Laser treatment for sun spots involves using a beam of concentrated light to target and destroy the pigmented cells that cause the spots. The laser energy heats up the pigment in the cells, causing them to break down and be absorbed by the body over time.
Are laser pigmentation treatments painful?
Most people report only mild discomfort during laser treatment for sun spots, often described as a stinging or snapping sensation. The discomfort can be reduced with topical numbing cream or cooling gel applied to the skin prior to treatment.
Are there any alternative or addition things I can do for pigmentation?
Vivier is a skincare brand that offers a variety of products that can help reduce the appearance of pigmentation on the skin. Here are some of their products that may be helpful for treating pigmentation. They should be used in conjunction with a cleanser and moisturizer. There is also a pigmentation complete Vivier line. We can help decide what product(s) are best for your skin.
- Vivier Radiance Serum: This serum contains a blend of powerful antioxidants, peptides, and vitamins that help to brighten and even out skin tone. It can be used to treat hyperpigmentation, age spots, and sun damage.
- Vivier Serum 20: This potent Vitamin C serum is designed to improve the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, and hyperpigmentation. It contains 20% L-ascorbic acid, which is a highly effective form of Vitamin C that helps to brighten and even out skin tone.
- Vivier GrenzCine Eye: This eye cream contains a unique formulation of Vitamin C and retinaldehyde, which can help to reduce the appearance of dark circles and pigmentation around the eyes.
- Vivier C E Peptides: This serum contains a blend of antioxidants, peptides, and Vitamin C, which work together to reduce the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, and pigmentation. It can be used on the face, neck, and chest to improve skin tone and texture.
- Vivier Advanced Skin Lightening Serum: This serum contains a blend of botanical extracts and antioxidants that can help to lighten and even out skin tone. It is particularly effective at reducing the appearance of dark spots and hyperpigmentation caused by sun damage.
As with any skincare product, it is important to follow the instructions carefully and to patch test the product before using it all over the face. It is also important to wear sunscreen daily to prevent further pigmentation and sun damage.
Vivier skin care products are available for purchase at Spa Olivia or online Vivier’s website. Please use “Spa Olivia 6138847199” as the clinic code when adding a product to the cart.
What is the GentleMax Pro laser?
The GentleMax Pro laser is a medical-grade Health Canada and FDA approved laser device used for various cosmetic and medical procedures. It is a multi-wavelength laser that combines two powerful laser systems: the Alexandrite and Nd:YAG. The GentleMax Pro is used for a wide range of procedures, including hair removal, vascular lesions, pigmented lesions, and skin rejuvenation.
The Alexandrite laser system emits a wavelength of 755nm, which is ideal for treating skin types I-III and is commonly used for hair removal, while the Nd:YAG laser system emits a wavelength of 1064nm, which is suitable for all skin types and is used for treating pigmented and vascular lesions. The GentleMax Pro laser system offers adjustable pulse durations and fluences, making it safe and effective for various skin types and conditions.
I highly recommend Spa Olivia. It is a relaxed but professional home spa and Connie and Viviana are absolutely wonderful!
Went for a lash lift and my life has changed! No need to carry an eyelash curler wherever I go anymore! Love my lashes now!
Amazing technician and amazing results, will FOR SURE be going back!
Fantastic service, even for those of us who are faint of heart when it comes to waxing!
First time having a Brazilian wax! Great first experience!!!
Have been going for over two years now. Love it every time. Great service.
Highly recommend Spa Olivia!
I love going to Spa Olivia! They always do a great job on my eyebrows and offer so many other great services too!
Amazing place, amazing services, amazing ladies!
Wonderful experience all around. Highly recommended!
They are truly a no judgement zone!
Always ensuring 100% satisfaction. Thank you ladies.
Five stars and 2 thumbs up over here!